Monday, March 8, 2010

Problem vs. Challenge

Problems and challenges seem very familiar, but there is a huge difference. The question is: is this a real problem or is this a problem blown way out of proportion? Many people, including myself, run into this dilemma multiple times a day. I would be that a majority of the time, someone is blowing the problem way out of proportion and it really isn't that big of a deal.
Today, I was torn up about someone saying something rude about me behind my back. Being a perfectionist, I like everyone to like me and think highly of me. But in this world, you can't please everybody. Just like Eli Young Band sings in their song "When it Rains," I didn't mind being lonely or crying along with the sky. I felt gloomy all day long until about 30 minutes ago when I realized that it really didn't matter what 1 person thought. Once people have their opinions, it is pretty difficult to change them and me fretting over one person's thoughts, that I don't really know that well I might add, is a waste of my time and energy that needed to be spent doing other things.
With leadership, I think this is extremely relevant because leaders are put on pedestals, but just because you are on a pedestal doesn't mean everyone likes you. There will always be people out there who dislike and say bad things about you. It isn't and can't possibly in your control. I know I need to get over it and focus on more important things in my life instead of trying to please everyone because if I continue trying to please everyone and solve all the problems of the world, I won't be on the earth much longer due to exhaustion.
It is all about deciding whether the problem is worth it, and then acting on the problems that really do need attention. I like to call these challenges because a problem really needing attention will most likely not be an easy fix and it is therefore a challenge. Leaders accomplish feats in life by focusing on the challenges and saving the easy work for other people. It is just a part of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment